I know you have been on the very edge of your seat thinking about when I will post about my glorious vacation.
The wait is over!
The picture above is actually the 2nd day, the first we arrived and I proceeded to fall asleep and nick got super wasted. Hahaha it was great!
We got pretty bad sunburns the 2nd day and now my hand and arm are peeling (Yes, just the right hand/arm) and I look a bit diseased.
I believe that is my only regret.
The beautiful beach and the matching sunglasses.
I would say we mostly did a ton of laying around and drinking. One day Dori's mom was trying to count how many drinks she had that day and it was 4! I tried to count and it was 8! Nick counted and I don't even think he remembers.
This is us at the welcome cocktails. We had so much fun being weird and getting to know the families of bride and groom.
The next day was the rehearsal dinner. It was very good and afterwards we went out dancing at the after hours club! It was still on the resort. It was a medium sized room with a bar and DJ. Nick and I, as usual, were going nuts out there and everyone was jealous. Well, no, but they loved the dancing. To some of Britton's friends I was that crazy dancing girl from then on.
Funny story: We had to wait 30 min for the rest of our snorkel group to arrive... and in that time I bundled myself in towels and fell asleep, Nick took the picture...
Also a funny story: We went out on a small boat to the reef to snorkel. Our first dive is over and we pop our heads out of the water to behold the restaurant burning to the ground!!!!! I was just sleeping there!
Yes, it burnt to the ground. We were supposed to have lunch there!!!
Our tour guides started celebrating being off from work for a while.
cute...
This is the day Nick and I traveled to Chichen Itza, a grand Mayan ruin. Here are two very authentic Mayans. We gave him a dollar and then he told us about some tree leaves we should try to smoke, make ya feel real good.
This is a sinkhole. I guess there are no rivers or lakes in the Yucatan area and this is how people get fresh water. Giant sinkholes 60 ft under the earth. Our tour guide was half Mayan and was telling us about the Mayan reservations they have. They are pretty much left alone, no government benefits, no birth certificates, no electricity or running water. They farm, hunt, gather and have lots of babies is what it sounded like. He also described his people very strangely, "we are short, with no necks, Long arms, big bellies and stubby legs" of course he was none of these... I don't know.
Anyways... MORE MAYANS!!
The main temple of the priests. It somehow corresponds directly with the shadows of the summer and winter solstice... I'm not sure how. But the priests used these shadows as messages from the gods and controlled the people with their timely appearances.
The tour guide told us that when the sinkhole near this site was excavated, tons of dead bodies were found. Young girls between 15-17 with lots of gold jewelry on, sick and or deformed children, and random children they guess were orphans sent to the gods (because who could better care for orphans? No one!)
One lady asked 'why the hell would these people do that?', the tour guide explained that we all do stupid shit based on things we believe. With every religion outsiders probably say, "what the what??".
This is the ball court. I can't remember what the sport is called. It is supposed to sound like the ball bouncing, but all that comes to mind is bouncy bouncy or ping pong.
Anyways, I hope Nick does not score a goal or his reward will be sacrifice! NOOOOOO!!!






looks like so much fun!!!! what a great adventure! :)
ReplyDeletei snorkeled in mexico when i was like 8 years old and it's still one of my favorite memories! i'm glad you had so much fun and such a great adventure! that's so crazy that the restaurant burned down!
ReplyDeletehow fun!!! thats hilarious and frightening that the restaurant burned down. good thing nick was there to wake you up and make sure you made the boat!
ReplyDelete